Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, February 11, 2011

First Trimester Woes

Morning sickness is in full swing now which is why I haven't been writing much as of late. When my head isn't poised over the pot, I'm pathetically lying in bed groaning with the discomfort of indigestion, acid reflux and heartburn. I consider myself very lucky lately if I only puke once during the day but alas the norm is, well, every time I eat. Cravings and food aversions are wildly unpredictable, like the swinging, vomiting arm of a pendulum. What I love and crave one day becomes my Kryptonite the next. And I'm being visited by the haunting acne of my youth, only I don't remember it being this bad back then. This means that many of the developing belly pictures I'll be taking during the next several months will likely be headless.

On any given night, as I'm turning off lights and tucking my sweet babes into bed, preparing to crawl beneath my own sheets, I stop in the kitchen to take my vitamins. I fill my hand to capacity with my prenatal vitamins (2 capsules twice a day only I can't seem to hold them down in the morning), Omegas, B-complex, Vitamin C and a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combo. That adds up to six gigantic horse pills that I swallow in a flush of water down my gullet every night. Normally this is not a problem. While many folks (Josh included) squirm at the thought of having to swallow even a teensy Tylenol caplet, I scoff, toss my head back and swallow vitamins and other medicine with champion skill. Only not now. The slightest brush from the mere aura of said vitamins even approaching the back of my throat sends my gag reflexes into a dramatic display of tumultuous, spasmodic wretching. So now I've cut back to the bare necessities: my prenatal vitamin and my omegas. I figure the prenatal has a bit of vitamin C, B's, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc so if I can just choke down half of the number of capsules then I'm doing pretty good. Besides, the aftertaste of B complex is not the stuff romance is made of, not that bile is any better or that I'm feeling anywhere near romantic but I digress.

My precious little squishy is in the middle of the 7th week which means that he or she is slightly bigger than a blueberry, approaching kidney bean size (just over 1/2" long by Monday). If I were to choose to go see an Obstetrician right now I would be able to see Squishy's heartbeat on an ultrasound and it would likely be somewhere between 120 to 200 beats per minute. As it is, I don't see any reason to jump up and run to have a scan done. While puking is not my idea of a good time, so far my pregnancy appears to be progressing quite normally. I have not lost any weight, still at 172, but if I did, that would be very normal. I'm still planning to begin tracking Squishy's heartbeat at around 14-18 weeks. Hopefully I'll be past this puking business by then and, fingers crossed, able to enjoy the remaining months of pregnancy nausea-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment